5.24.2007

boys' dr appt. - 05/24

The boys both had appts with the family doctor yesterday - Isaac for his 12 month check and needle, and Zech for a quick check and his 18 month needle.
Isaac is 21lbs (25th %) and 30 inches (50th %) - he's doing well, growing good, but has definitely dropped a bit from starting at well over the 95th %! He got his 12 month needle (MMR), cried only a little bit, and that was that. Such a good boy!
Zech is 30.5lbs (50th %) and 38 inches (75th%) - I have no idea where he gets his height from! Must be Grampa Sam.

Zech got his 18 month needle (dptp + hib). He's all caught up now, until time for school booster. He cried... a LOT... when they did it. A sucker helped, but only a little bit. He complained about his arm hurting a lot the whole rest of the day. We gave him ibuprofen at bedtime and he slept fine all night.

This morning, though, his arm was very swollen, red, and hardened. I didn't think much of it, as he said it didn't hurt. By lunchtime the redness and swelling had spread some. I took a few pictures of his arm and uploaded them to the pics site to link to some friends, to ask what they thought. Everyone agreed that I should at least call and ask the office about it, so I did. (really I was going to, but wanted to make sure I wasn't overreacting about this) The nurse said to come in right away, so in we trucked.

By the time Zech was seen (not really very long, only a few hours after lunchtime) the redness had spread to the top of his arm and down past his elbow. The swelling was all down his arm, into his hand.
The Dr. checked his arm, and listened to his chest. Chest is clear (good!), and Zech is acting normal for himself, so it's a localized allergic reaction to the vax (or at least something in it). We're to give Zech benadryl and put on a steroid cream 3 times a day. The Dr is supposed to call me tomorrow morning - if I don't hear anything by late morning, I will call and leave a message for him, though if it looks worse tomorrow morning, I'll definitely be having him seen again.

As of bedtime, his arm is still very red and swollen and hard, but his hand is looking and feeling normal. I'm hoping to somehow get him awake enough to take another dose of Benadryl before Josh and I go to bed, and hopefully we'll see great improvement in the morning.

Scary stuff, this parenting thing.Here are the pictures of his arm. Amazing enough (to me anyways) he says it doesn't hurt at all when I touch it or put pressure on it!



No comments:

Post a Comment